Adult Sabbath School teachers, you may pick up next quarters Sabbath School lesson quarterly for your class at the lower level Welcome Center beginning today. If you are a member of PMC and not a member of a Sabbath School class, you may pick up no more than two quarterlies. Please complete the sign-out sheet if you are not a class member.
Galaxy Three: Why What Is Happening a Billion Light Years Away Right Now Matters to You
Galaxy Three: The HP Factor
DVDsTo purchase a DVD of this sermon please visit our online shopping cart. Proceeds go to support the New Perceptions media ministry.
Buy DVD Online Buy series
SpeakerDwight K. Nelson
Since 1983, Dwight Nelson has served as lead pastor of the Pioneer Memorial Church on the campus of Andrews University. He preaches on the “New Perceptions” telecast, teaches at the theological seminary and has written some books, including The Chosen. He and his wife, Karen, are blessed with two married children and one granddaughter.
More In This Series
Why What Is Happening a Billion Light Years Away Right Now Matters to You” [The HP Factor]
□ Hebrews 1:1—“Long ago God spoke.”
Two universal realities embedded in this four-word opening salvo:
“In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. . . . And God said, ‘Let there be
light.’” (Genesis 1:1-3)
“In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. . . .
Through Him all things were made.” (John 1:1-3)
“And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to Him must
believe that He exists and that He rewards those who earnestly seek Him.” (Hebrews 11:6)
“You will seek Me and find Me when you seek Me with all your heart. I will be found by you.”
(Jeremiah 29:13, 14)
- Two universal realities embedded in this four-word opening salvo:
- □ “Yet hope is not lost. The King mysteriously rises from the dead, Conqueror of the Rebel and evil. Now, returned to the throne, the King commands the endgame of the final battle to save the rebel planet, rescue Galaxy Three and restore freedom to the universe . . . .”
□ Hebrews 1:1-4
Chiasm—a literary device that utilizes a unique parallel pattern for
clarification and/or emphasis: A-B-C- . . . C’-B’-A’.
A The Son contrasted with the (vv 1-2a) B The Son as messianic (v 2b)
C The Son’s work (v 2c)
D The Son’s threefold mediatorial relationship to
C’ The Son’s work (v 3c)
B’ The Son as messianic (v 3d) A’ The Son contrasted with the (v 4)
- The Son is the great divine on behalf of the Throne of the universe and all intelligent life.
- Peter O’Brien: “The Son is the exact representation, the embodiment of God, as he really is. His being is made manifest in Christ, so that to see the Son is to see what the Father is like. . . . Together, then, these magnificent affirmations [at the heart of this chiasm] show that the Son manifests the person and presence of God. He is able to be God’s historical self- revelation because he is identified with Yahweh [the great I AM] himself.” (The Letter to the Hebrews 55)
- Only in Hebrews is Jesus Christ called the great of the fallen human race.
- “‘The whole argument of the Epistle revolves around the idea of the Son who has become the perfect high priest by his death and exaltation.’” (O’Brien 59)
No wonder the author of Hebrews repeatedly appeals to us to look at Him! Hebrews 2:9—“But we Jesus.”
Hebrews 3:1—“Fix your on Jesus.”
Hebrews 12:2—“Let us fix our on Jesus.”
- Steps to Christ: “Such is the character of Christ as revealed in His life. This is the character of God. It is from the Father’s heart that the streams of divine compassion, manifest in Christ, flow out to the children of men. Jesus, the tender, pitying Saviour, was God ‘manifest in the flesh.’ It was to redeem us that Jesus lived and suffered and died.” (12)
- Chiasm—a literary device that utilizes a unique parallel pattern for
Christmas Eve at PMC: The Gift. The Christmas story of God's gift to humanity, for all ages.
December 15, 5:00 PM
Location: PMC Sanctuary
Start the New Year right! Come and enjoy PMC’s 10 Days of Prayer from January 1-10 in the Youngberg home, 4731 Greenfield Drive in Berrien Springs, MI. This is the 29th consecutive year. Each session begins at 6:00 PM. We will be praying for your requests and for an abundant outpouring of the Latter Rain. There will be special handouts for attendees each session. Bring your Bible.
The topics are:
- Jan. 1 “For Such a Time as This”
- Jan. 2 “My Sheep Hear My Voice”
- Jan. 3 “Faith is the Victory”
- Jan. 4 “His Name Shall Be Called WONDERFUL”
- Jan. 5 “Toning up my Flabby Spiritual Muscles”
- Jan. 6 “Snacking on Spiritual Food or Enjoying a Full Course Meal?”
- Jan. 7 “Exceedingly Abundantly Above All that We ASK or Think”
- Jan. 8 “And the Earth Was Illuminated with His Glory”
- Jan. 9 “These Follow the Lamb Wherever He Goes”
- Jan. 10 “You Are My Hiding Place”
January 1-10, 6:00 PM
Location: 4731 Greenfield Drive, Berrien Springs, MI
On behalf of the thirteen churches in southwestern Michigan, we’re delighted to host Pavel Goia, editor Ministry magazine and international prayer conference speaker, on Sabbath, January 5, 2019. Pastor Goia was featured significantly in Ron Clouzet’s Adventism’s Greatest Need because of a resurrection he and his wife sought and received from God. A man of bold prayer and intercession, Pastor Pavel is the right preacher to lead us into an uncertain New Year globally, nationally and even locally. He will preach in both the 9:00 AM and 11:45 AM services at Pioneer, and in between will preach in the Berrien Springs Spanish Church (10:30 AM). An afternoon district-wide prayer conference will follow here at Pioneer (3:00 PM). Mark your calendar, and let us discover how to make collective prayer our high priority in 2019.
January 5, 9:00 AM & 11:45 AM
Location: Pioneer Memorial Church
You are invited to an evening of popular Christmas music on Saturday, December 15, at 7:00pm at the Howard Performing Arts Center on the campus of Andrews University. Join us as we bring in the holidays with a variety of well-known Christmas songs including a grand finale played by the combined musical groups.
December 15, 7:00 PM
Location: Howard Performing Arts Center
Please join us at the Howard Performing Arts Center for our annual Christmas programs. The Vocal Christmas program is 7:00 PM on December 18 and the Instrumental program is at 7:00 PM on December 19.
December 18 & 19
Location: Howard Performing Arts Center
On Sunday, December 2, 2018 Dwight K. Nelson, Lead Pastor at Pioneer Memorial Church, took the pastoral team and their families on a Christmas excursion. Following a delightful meal, they headed to a nearby ice skating rink. The team is thankful for the time together!
Seasons cheer was in the crisp, cool air as the pastor's kids and the rest of the team circled around the rink. A few huddled on the sidelines while laughing, taking pictures, and waving through the merry gang of PMC skaters. Almost an hour after getting on the ice, Pastor Nelson incurred an injury to his right hip and right shoulder. Everyone is thankful that he did not hit his head on the ice.
The staff from the arena responded professionally, assessing the situation and calling for the paramedics. They even responded warmly to the suggestion from one of the other pastors. That suggestion was that along with the paramedics, they include a local marching band to escort him to a local hospital where he would get x-rays taken. (unfortunately, they were not available). On arriving at the hospital, they were received and attended with great care. Thank you to all who work in medical services for the professionalism and attentiveness you offer your patients.
As of December 3, Pastor Dwight went through his first successful surgery for his hip, and on December 5 he is scheduled to go into surgery again to attend to his shoulder. During this season we are reminded of many things, but today we are thankful that even through the disruptions this life brings God is watching over us. He is the Lead Physician and the Loving Shepherd.
We welcome your prayers and cards. We have set up a CaringBridge site (www.caringbridge.org/visit/dwightnelson) to read updates as they are made available and for you to leave your words of encouragement (we are not setting up a donation portal through CaringBridge). At the present time, we are asking for no-one to visit so that Pastor Dwight can have the necessary rest and recovery important in these early days post surgery. If you have care packages or cards, please feel free to deliver them to the church office. The pastoral staff will ensure they are delivered.
The Honduras mission team needs a used violin and children's recorders (or funds to buy some) for the children's home in Honduras. We want to share the joy of music with these precious children.
Contact: Glenn Russell - email@example.com
The funeral dinner team needs additional helpers to bring food and/or work in the kitchen. If you would like to assist in this way, please contact Pat Erhard at (260) 471-7366 or the church office at (269) 471-6565.