Location: PMC Commons
Yes Can Do
How to Pray with an Attitude
DVDsTo purchase a DVD of this sermon please visit our online shopping cart. Proceeds go to support the New Perceptions media ministry.
Buy DVD Online Buy series
SpeakerDwight K. Nelson
Since 1983, Dwight Nelson has served as lead pastor of the Pioneer Memorial Church on the campus of Andrews University. He preaches on the “New Perceptions” telecast, teaches at the theological seminary and has written some books, including The Chosen. He and his wife, Karen, are blessed with two married children and one granddaughter.
"YES CAN DO: How to Pray with an Attitude"
Act One—Joshua 10:1-5
- Ephesians 6:10-12
- Ellen White: "Could our eyes be opened, and could each see the conflict of angelic agencies with the Satanic confederacy, who are combined with evil human agencies, what astonishment would come upon the soul. The holy angels are working with terrible intensity for the salvation of men, because the destroyer of souls is seeking to make of no effect the salvation which has been purchased at infinite cost. Could our spiritual vision be opened, we should see that which would never be effaced from the memory as long as life should last. We should see souls bowed down under oppression, loaded with grief and pressed down as a cart beneath the sheaves, and ready to die in discouragement. We should see angels flying swiftly to aid the tempted ones who stand as on the brink of a precipice. These tempted souls are unable to help themselves, and avoid the ruin which threatens them; but the angels of God are forcing back the evil angels, and guiding the souls away from the dangerous places, to plant their feet on a sure foundation. We should see battles going on between the two armies, as real as those fought by opposing forces on earth.” (Signs of the Times October 29, 1894)
Act Two—Joshua 10:6-8
- Anne Lamott: "There's freedom in hitting bottom, in seeing that you won't be able to save or rescue your daughter, her spouse, his parents, or your career, relief in admitting you've reached the place of great unknowing. This is where restoration can begin, because when you're still in the state of trying to fix the unfixable, everything bad is engaged: the chatter of your mind, the tension of your physiology, all the trunks and wheel-ons you carry from the past. It's exhausting, crazy-making. Help. Help us walk through this. Help us come through. It is the first great prayer." (Help Thanks Wow: The Three Essential Prayers 14-15)
- Ellen White: "[We] are to contend with supernatural forces, but [we] are assured of supernatural help. All the intelligences of heaven are in this army. And more than angels are in the ranks. The Holy Spirit, the representative of the Captain of the Lord's host, comes down to direct the battle. Our infirmities may be many, our sins and mistakes grievous; but the grace of God is for all who seek it with contrition. The power of Omnipotence is enlisted in behalf of those who trust in God." (Desire of Ages 352)
- 2 Corinthians 10:4
- Sidlow Baxter: "Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our own persons—but they are helpless against our prayers."
- Ellen White: "Satan knows better than God's people the power that they can have over him when their strength is in Christ. When they humbly entreat the mighty Conqueror for help, the weakest believer in the truth, relying firmly upon Christ, can successfully repulse Satan and all his host." (Testimonies to the Church 1:341)
- John 15:5—"For without Me you can do nothing."
- Revelation 12:11—"They triumphed over him [the Satan Dragon] by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony; they did not love their lives so much as to shrink from death."
- Ellen White: "Tell him [Satan] of the blood of Jesus, that cleanses from all sin. You cannot save yourself from the tempter's power, but he trembles and flees when the merits of that precious blood are urged." (Testimonies to the Church 5:317)
Act Three—Joshua 10:9-14
- John Dawson: "The prayer of a human being can alter history by releasing legions of angels into the earth. If we really grasped this truth, we would pray with intensity, and we would pray constantly." (Taking Our Cities for God 140)
YES CAN DO because HE CAN DO
December 14, 7:00 PM
Location: PMC Sanctuary
Sabbath, December 15, Both Services
Location: PMC Sanctuary
Sabbath, December 22
Location: PMC Commons
God’s Hands 4 Kids provides care and support for vulnerable children, their caregivers, and workers. We would like to know who in our own church are foster, kinship or adoptive families. As part of the Berrien County Foster Adoption Network, a collaborative of government, private agencies and Gh4k, a monthly support group is held here at PMC that includes a free meal, children’s activities and adult time. We also host several trainings a year. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know about your family and share if you have a specific need. May God bless you as you give of yourself and live out James 1:27.
The Watervliet Migrant HeadStart center located at 745 N M 140 Watervliet, MI 49098 is a 501 (c) (3) private nonprofit organization that provides educational services to migrant and seasonal families that work in agriculture.We are currently seeking volunteers and donations. Volunteers are needed to come and read to children or lead in creative activities. Donations of diapers, unscented baby wipes and ready to use formula are welcome. Please contact Sanford Gomez at (269) 463-5610 or email@example.com.
Sabbath School Teachers: You may pick up your class's quarterlies and your teacher's edition at the lower level Welcome Center. Class members will receive your new quarterlies in their class so they do not need to pick up their own copy. Those PMC members not in a regular Sabbath school class may sign out one or two quarterlies for their personal use.
Looking for a quiet, thoughtful Sabbath School that dives deep into Bible study and encourages lively discussion? Join us Sabbath mornings, 10:30-11:30 AM, at Rachel Hall (the old IMC Building). We look forward to studying the Word with you!
Sabbaths, 10:30 - 11:30 AM
Loction: Rachel Hall
Contact: Anne Oyerly - firstname.lastname@example.org
The School of Health Professions will be hosting a Cancer Research Forum by Dr. Benjamin Lau. He will present “Phytotherapy Maximizes Innate Immunity and Cancer Healing.” Book signing will follow in Chan Shun Lobby. Free Admission (limited capacity). Click the link below to RSVP.
September 27, 3:30 - 5:00 PM
Location: Chan Shun Hall, Garber Auditorium
Pioneer is hiring part-time and fulltime support staff positions. Visit www.pmchurch.org/employment for details.