Since 1983, Dwight Nelson has served as lead pastor of the Pioneer Memorial Church on the campus of Andrews University. He preaches on the “New Perceptions” telecast, teaches at the theological seminary and has written some books, including The Chosen. He and his wife, Karen, are blessed with two married children and one granddaughter.
»A Love Song in the Vineyard
• Song of Solomon 1 & 8/Isaiah 5:1-7
»A Parable about the Vineyard
• Matthew 21:33-43/John 15
»This may be the most important truth you have yet to learn:
• John 15:1-5, 8, 16
• Jesus talks about “fruit” seven times.
• What kind of fruit?
• Craig Keener: “In Palestine, the grapes ripen in late summer as the shoots stop growing and the bark changes from green to darker shortly before the vintage of August or September. Yet John writes figuratively; of what sort of fruit does the passage speak? . . . [T]he immediate context . . . suggests fruit.” (The Gospel of John: A Commentary 2:997)
• Galatians 5:22-23—“But the fruit of the is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.”
• Desire of Ages: “The life of Christ in you produces the same as in Him. Living in Christ, adhering to Christ, supported by Christ, drawing nourishment from Christ, you bear fruit after the similitude of Christ.”(677)
• Acts of the Apostles: “The sap of the vine, ascending from the root, is diffused to the branches, sustaining growth and producing blossoms and fruit. So the life-giving power of the , proceeding from the Saviour, pervades the soul, renews the motives and affections, and brings even the thoughts into obedience to the will of God, enabling the receiver to bear the precious fruit of holy deeds.” (284)
• But what about pruning (John 15:2)?
• Hebrews 5:8—“During the days of Jesus' life on earth, He offered up prayers and petitions with fervent cries and tears to the One who could save Him from death, and He was heard because of His reverent submission. Son though He was, He learned obedience from what He .”
• 2 Corinthians 12:8-10—“Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But He said to me, ‘My grace is sufficient for you, for My power is made perfect in weakness.’ . . . That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am , then I am strong.”
• Philippians 3:10—“I want to know Christ and the power of His resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in His , becoming like Him in His death.”
• Hebrews 12:10-11—“Our fathers disciplined us for a little while as they thought best; but God disciplines us for our good, that we may share in His holiness [“Become like Me”]. No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces the of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained [pruned] by it.”
• 2 Timothy 3:12—“Everyone who wants to live a godly life in Christ Jesus [connected to the Vine] will be [pruned].”
• Mark 10:30—Jesus promises all who give up all to follow Him will be rewarded a hundred times as much in this life with “ .”
• The point: we won’t get through this life without being .
• Desire of Ages: “The pruning will cause pain, but it is the Father who applies the knife. He works with no wanton hand or indifferent heart.  There are branches trailing upon the ground; these must be cut loose from the supports to which their tendrils are fastening. They are to reach heavenward, and find their support in God.  The excessive foliage that draws away the life current [sap] from the must be pruned off.  The overgrowth must be cut out, to give room for the healing beams of the Sun of Righteousness. The husbandman prunes away the growth, that the fruit may be richer and more abundant.” (677)
• Andrew Murray: “Christian, pray for grace to see in every trouble, small or great, the Father’s finger pointing to Jesus, and saying, Abide in Him! . . . A believer may pass through much affliction and yet secure but little blessing from it all. Abiding in Christ is the secret of securing all that the Father the chastisement to bring us.” (Abiding in Christ 122-123)
• “I will put my in Him.” (Hebrews 2:13)
• “Prune me, dear Father, that there may be more fruit . . . in my life . . . for Your glory.”
You gotta have fruit!
Dementia Awareness Training
Buchanan SDA invites you to come learn how to recognize , help and be a friend to caretakers and families of those affected with dementia. They need you more than you know, it is a lonely situation. The speaker will be Keryl Conkright, RN who has worked in this field for years and has alot to offer those suspecting or living in the situation.
November 6, 6:00 PM
Location: Buchanan SDA Church
3115 Niles-Buchanan Rd.
Buchanan, MI 49107
Horn Lectureship Series
The Horn Lectureship Series Presents: “Studies in the Dead Sea Scrolls,” by James C. VanderKam, PhD. The lecture will take place on Monday, October 29 at 7:00 PM in the Seminary Chapel. This event is free and open to the public.
October 29, 7:00 PM
Location: Seminary Chapel
Free Tai Chi Class
Learn the 24 forms of Tai Chi. These slow movements result in better balance, strength, coordination for those of all ages. For more information, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mondays, 11:30 AM - 12:15 PM
Location: PMC Commons
Used Children's Sabbath School Quarterlies available
Are you looking for help in reaching your neighbors, need materials for a church plant, or going on a mission trip? Used Children's Sabbath School Quarterlies for all divisions are available on a first come, first serve basis at the Children's Ministry Resource Center (located at the far end of the downstairs hallway). Stop by between 10 AM-12 Noon on Sabbaths or call Debi Robertson at (269) 471-7150. Available only through October 20, 2018.
Andrews Academy Alumni Weekend October 19 & 20
Andrews Academy invites you to the ALUMNI WEEKEND, October 19 & 20, 2018. Come and reunite with your Andrews Academy family. Remember the defining moments of your past and reconnect with old friends. We look forward to seeing all of you once again at our Alumni Reunion! (All are invited, this year’s honored classes end in 4 and 9). Friday, 7 p.m. Vespers. Saturday, 9-9:45 a.m. Continental Breakfast, 10 a.m. Sabbath School & Roll Call led by five different honored classes, 11:15 a.m. Alumni Worship Convocation followed by honor class photographs & Fellowship Haystack Luncheon.
Local Alumni please bring the following according to last name:
Q-S Sour Cream
Pastor's Thank You!
Our Pioneer pastors diligently work on our behalf, and we would like to take this opportunity to thank them for their efforts. October is Pastor Appreciation Month and we have provided a card which you can use to write a personal note to one or more of our pastors (Dwight Nelson, Jose' Bourget, John Glass, Ben Martin, Taurus Montgomery, Rodlie Ortiz), or ministers (Kenneth Logan, Richard Parke). Return your completed cards today to the welcome stations located at the back of the church, in the basement lobby, or at the desk located between the Youth Chapel and the Sanctuary. You and your family may want to show your appreciation in another creative way as well but we wanted to give you this opportunity today. Thank you.
Mission Trip to Honduras
Do you love children and want to share your love for Jesus? The PMC Youth Missions team will be going to Honduras from Dec 13-23. The Friendship Team will be conducting a day camp for about 125 children from the Hogar de Ninos orphanage and the surrounding community. There are a few more spaces left on the team. Flights are almost full. Your prayers and financial support are so important for this mission project. Contact Glenn Russell (269) 876-7657 right away for more information.
"For I Was Hungry ..."
Feeding the hungry has been Christianity 101 since the beginning. PMC does its part by participating in the Benton Harbor Soup Kitchen. Our team is always looking for extra hands. If you're available for a few hours the first Sunday of each month and at least 18 years old, you can be a part of it. Food service experience is helpful but not a requirement. If you're interested, email Daniel Drazen at email@example.com.
Senior Mentors Needed
Ruth Murdoch Elementary School is seeking seniors to mentor students for the Partnering for Eternity (PFE) program. This program pairs elementary children with mentors to build inter-generational friendships and provide tuition assistance. Would you like to help make a difference in another life by befriending and guiding a student? We have 10 eager students signed up and are waiting to be matched with a senior. Donate one hour per week sharing hobbies and life skills with the next generation. The child will benefit by receiving tuition scholarship for Christian Education. For more information and to volunteer contact Evelyn Savory or Vida Giddings at (269) 471-3225.
RMES 50th Anniversary Celebration
Come celebrate Ruth Murdoch Elementary School's 50th Anniversary on Sun., Oct. 21, 2018. Alumni, past/current staff and faculty, current students, and community members are welcome to join us.
Sunday, October 21
Tours and Activities: 1-2 PM
Program: 2 PM
Tours and Activities: 3-4 PM