To purchase a DVD of this sermon please visit our online shopping cart. Proceeds go to support the New Perceptions media ministry.
Buy DVD OnlineBuy series
Dwight K. Nelson
Since 1983, Dwight Nelson has served as lead pastor of the Pioneer Memorial Church on the campus of Andrews University. He preaches on the “New Perceptions” telecast, teaches at the theological seminary and has written some books, including The Chosen. He and his wife, Karen, are blessed with two married children and 2 granddaughters.
• Headline: “Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of . Life does not consist in an of possessions.” (v 15)
• “Another [happiness] factor is what positive psychologists refer to as the ‘ [pleasure-seeking] treadmill.’ Through the same process of habituation [decrease in our response to a stimulus after being repeatedly exposed to it], the happiness associated with a new purchase, a new job, or a new house soon fades. Trying to recapture and retain feelings of excitement and happiness results in the pursuit of more new things, which becomes a never-ending task, like being on a continuous treadmill.” (www.happify.com/hd/can-money-ever-buy-you-happiness/)
• Tagline: “This is how it will be with whoever stores up things for but is not toward God.” (v 21)
• Investopedia: “According to the Credit Suisse Global Wealth Report 2018, the top percent of adults account for more than 47 percent of household wealth globally. This raises an interesting question: Who exactly are the percent worldwide? The surprising answer: If you’re an American, you don’t have to even be close to being uber-rich to make the list. . . . An income of $ a year will allow you to make the cut. . . . So if you’re an accountant, a registered nurse or even an elementary school teacher, congratulations. The average wage for any of these careers falls well within the top percent worldwide.” (www.investopedia.com/articles/personal-finance/050615/are-you-top-one-pe...)
•Punchline: When you combine the headline to Jesus’ parable with the tagline of His parable, you very quickly come to His punchline: !
• Ed Gungor: “ touches a nerve in us that nothing else does. We look a lot like God when we do it [John 3:16]. When you , you defy the fear that you won’t have enough. You insult , the impulse to acquire or possess more than one needs or deserves. If you really believe that God owns it all and that he is your source and provider, will be a simple matter. . . . The arena of is the only place where exactly what’s going on in your heart is revealed. According to Jesus, keeps your heart in motion toward God and away from material things. . . . Your heart will follow the direction of your .” (Religiously Transmitted Diseases)
• Luke 12:32-34.
• Ellen White: “Let us surrender ourselves a living sacrifice, and our all to Jesus. It is His; we are His purchased possession. Those who are recipients of His grace, who contemplate the cross of Calvary, will not question concerning the proportion to be given, but will feel that the richest offering is all too meager, all disproportionate to the great of the only-begotten Son of the infinite God. Through self-denial, the poorest will find ways of obtaining something to to God.” (RH July 14, 1896)
• Be rich toward the God who’s been rich toward you.
We invite you to take part in the Feed the Need, PMC’s annual Thanksgiving food collection coordinated by the PMC Evergreen Pathfinder club. Please bring non-perishable food to church on Sabbath November 23 to bring forward during the Procession of Thanksgiving during Hymn Fest. We will also be passing and collecting out bags in portions of the community for community members who wish to contribute.
November 23, 2019, 9:00 AM & 11:45 AM
Four Ways You Can Help the Children and Youth in Benton Harbor, MI at the Harbor of Hope Seventh-day Adventist Church
1) Pray for the children, youth, their parents, teachers, and the leaders/
volunteers at Greater Young Kids and Greater Youth Movement.
2) Order Florida Citrus Fruit for yourself, a food pantry like Harbor of
Hope, Neighbor to Neighbor, or God’s Abundant Pantry or order gift boxes
for Christmas gifts! See pictures and order sheets all around Andrews
University. If you are buying fruit for others make a note of where you want
the fruit to go on your check memo line. WE NEED THE ORDERS AND MONEY BY
NOVEMBER 15!!!! We will get the fruit early in December.
3) Order Rada Cutlery and Gifts at: https://radafundraising.com/?rfsn=1862551.e0e1d5
4) Or you can donate money to go straight to helping the children and youth
of Harbor of Hope, just send checks and we will use it to help out.
Contact Terry Trecartin at firstname.lastname@example.org or (423) 645-5684. Make
out checks to Harbor of Hope and send them to the Harbor of Hope church at
769 Pipestone Street Benton Harbor, MI 49022.
The fruit will be delivered to the Harbor of Hope church and you can pick it up there or we can bring it to you at Andrews. Order some for Christmas!
We have order forms and information on some bulletin boards there at Andrews and there are some at Neighbor to Neighbor.
Sabbath November 23 at 4pm WILDERNESS ADVENTURE children's church continues at Andrews Academy. Bring a friend and have fun learning about God! Music, skits, puppets, prizes, crafts and games. Don't miss out!
Saturday, November 23, 2019
Location: Andrews Academy
AU Passion Play Seeking Actors
The Andrews University Passion Play is returning to campus on April 11, 2020! Anyone interested in acting is encouraged to sign up on the website: passionplay.andrews.edu. Additionally, interested volunteers may contact the Drama Director Katharina Burghardt for more information at email@example.com. Please join us in telling Jesus' story this Easter!
Hundreds of used Adventist books, pamphlets, periodicals, Ellen White books, audio-visuals, and more on sale. The sale is conducted during the hours the Center is open (S: 1 - 5 pm, M-Tr: 9 am - 7 pm and F: 9 am -1 pm) and will run for about three or four weeks as long as materials last.
Begins: October 28, 2019, 9:00 AM
Location: Center for Adventist Research