To purchase a DVD of this sermon please visit our online shopping cart. Proceeds go to support the New Perceptions media ministry.
Buy DVD OnlineBuy series
Dwight K. Nelson
Since 1983, Dwight Nelson has served as lead pastor of the Pioneer Memorial Church on the campus of Andrews University. He preaches on the “New Perceptions” telecast, teaches at the theological seminary and has written some books, including The Chosen. He and his wife, Karen, are blessed with two married children and 2 granddaughters.
• US News & World Report—a study last year of 20,000 U.S. adults “found that nearly half felt lonely at least sometime. And only 53% said they had meaningful face-to-face interactions every day.”
• God: “‘It is not good for the man [Adam] to be alone; I will make a companion who can help him [Eve].’” (Genesis 2:18)
• Norway survey of 15,000 people discovered:
– For those 18-29—what matters in relationships is quantity (how many friends do I have?).
• Stephen Johnson—ask these questions to find out if you have the relationships you need:
– Do you have at least one person nearby whom you can call on in times of personal distress?
– Do you have several people whom you can visit with little advance warning without apology?
– Do you have several people with whom you can share recreational activities?
– Do you have people who will lend you money if you need it, or those who will care for you in practical ways if the need arises? (In Friendship Factor 24)
» 4 Secrets to Growing Friendships
• Friendship Secret #1—Less of and more of . (Unselfishness)
– Jennifer Schwirzer: “We have all done it, and we have all suffered when others have done it. The monologuist fails to hold an actual conversation. They seem to thrive on the sound of their own voice.” (13 Weeks to Love 56)
• Alan McGuinnis: Ask yourself—
– Do we usually end up going to the restaurant or watch the movie I prefer?
– Do I enjoy correcting factual errors in other people’s conversations?
– Do I use humor to put down my friends?
– Do I have to know more about a topic than others to feel comfortable discussing it?(Friendship Factor 63)
– 1 Corinthians 13:5—“Love is not -seeking.”
• Friendship Secret #2—Let’s ! (Communication)
– Les and Leslie Parrott (in their book), observe: “Consider this fact: Men say three times as many words in public as they do in private, while women say three times as many words in private as they do in public.” (Saving Your Marriage Before It Starts 108)
– Alan McGinnis: “There can be no intimacy without .” (Friendship Factor 105)
– Luke 24:15—“[Cleopas and his friend] talked and discussed these things with .”
• Friendship Secret #3—Quit keeping . (Gift of a Good Forgetter)
– Jacques Vaudre: “Keeping score belongs in competitive sports, not in a mutually supportive relationship. . . . The idea that love involves some sort of quid pro quo, is, at best, evidence of immaturity that needs to be outgrown. At worst, it is a distortion of love that turns two people into unhappy combatants vying for control.” (Six Dynamic Keys 120)
– Matthew 6:12 NIV—“And forgive us our debts as we also [GK already forgiven our debtors.”
• Friendship Secret #4—I’m willing to so you can . (Self-sacrifice)
– The sacrificial love of a mother for her child
– John 15:13—“Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s .”
Best Friends Forever
Simply Sandi: An Intimate Night of Songs & Stories with Sandi Patty
Simply known as “The Voice,” Sandi Patty is one of the most highly acclaimed performers of our time with five Grammy Awards, four Billboard Music Awards, three platinum records and five gold records. Sandi is the most awarded female vocalist in contemporary Christian music history with 40 Dove Awards. Join us for an evening with Sandi Patty as she shares her message of hope, life and love.
March 8, 7:00 PM
Ruth Murdoch Elementary School Visitor's Day
Students who will be in the 1st through 8th grade next school year are invited to visit RMES on March 10. Make friends, meet teachers and have fun!
Grades 1-6: 8:15 - 11:30 a.m.
Grades 7-8: 8:15 - 3:30 p.m.
Parents, please call 269-471-3225 to register.
(A special Kindergarten Visitor's Day is planned for April 1)
"Crossing Point. Songs of an Immigrant" by Adriana Perera
Adriana Perera is professor of music theory and composition at Andrews University. She is a prolific composer with her main interest being sacred music. This concert of her compositions will be performed by various guest artists. Also performing will be the University Singers, conducted by Stephen Zork, and the Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Chris Wild.
April 4, 8:30 PM
There Is No Substitute For Blood
Give the Gift of Life!
Donate blood on February 26, 2020 at PMC from 1-7pm in the PMC Commons. Sponsored by PMC, AU,and the Red Cross. More information at redcrossblood.org or contact Larry Ulery at 269-471-0467. Help save lives, treat cancer and other illnesses and make a difference.
February 26, 1-7 PM
Location: PMC Commons
AU Passion Play "Hebrew" Dancers Needed
The Nagilah Grace Jewish Folk dance group is looking for recruits of all ages to perform in the Andrews University Passion Play. To learn dance moves that date back to King David's time, come join us at 4:00-6:00 pm every Sunday afternoon in the Neighbor to Neighbor Community Center. Please feel free to come even if you cannot be at pratice for the whole time. If you would like more information, please contact Doug Adams at email@example.com.
Ever With The: An English Music Vespers
Join the Departments of English and Music as they present their annual vespers at the Howard Performing Arts Center. Friday evening, February 21st at 7:30 p.m. The theme this year is “Ever With Thee” - based on the hymn, Be Thou My Vision - and is explored via an hour of music and written word presented by students of the English and Music Departments. All are welcome. Co-curricular credit is available.
February 21, 7:30 PM
Save the Date
Pioneer members are encouraged to attend the Business Session. The topics to be discussed and voted upon include the 2019 year-end reports and the 2020 proposed budget which are inserted in your bulletin.
February 24, 7:00 PM
Grandpa's Two Minute Bible Stories
Please invite all kids to call 740-571-4365 to listen to a daily recording of two minute Bible Stories or visit http://gpasdd.com for YouTube Bible Stories. The seed of God's Word sown into the hearts and minds of children has great potential of bringing forth much fruit!
Food Collection for Backpacks for Berrien
During the month of February, PMC will be collecting nonperishable, single serving food items for children within the Berrien Springs community. B4B is currently handing out food bags to 110 children with breakfast and lunch items for both Saturdays and Sundays. Bins will be in the welcome centers with a photo of items that are needed.
More Volunteer Opportunities!
The Siegfried H. Horn museum would like to have a few more docents (volunteers). We are working to keep the museum open every Sabbath (Saturday) from 3:00p to 5:00p but we need help. Let us know if you would like to help and if you have not been to the museum (or it has been a while) come on over! 9047 US Highway 31, Berrien Springs, MI 49103.