Since 1983, Dwight Nelson has served as lead pastor of the Pioneer Memorial Church on the campus of Andrews University. He preaches on the “New Perceptions” telecast, teaches at the theological seminary and has written some books, including The Chosen. He and his wife, Karen, are blessed with two married children and 2 granddaughters.
• US News & World Report—a study last year of 20,000 U.S. adults “found that nearly half felt lonely at least sometime. And only 53% said they had meaningful face-to-face interactions every day.”
• God: “‘It is not good for the man [Adam] to be alone; I will make a companion who can help him [Eve].’” (Genesis 2:18)
• Norway survey of 15,000 people discovered:
– For those 18-29—what matters in relationships is quantity (how many friends do I have?).
• Stephen Johnson—ask these questions to find out if you have the relationships you need:
– Do you have at least one person nearby whom you can call on in times of personal distress?
– Do you have several people whom you can visit with little advance warning without apology?
– Do you have several people with whom you can share recreational activities?
– Do you have people who will lend you money if you need it, or those who will care for you in practical ways if the need arises? (In Friendship Factor 24)
» 4 Secrets to Growing Friendships
• Friendship Secret #1—Less of and more of . (Unselfishness)
– Jennifer Schwirzer: “We have all done it, and we have all suffered when others have done it. The monologuist fails to hold an actual conversation. They seem to thrive on the sound of their own voice.” (13 Weeks to Love 56)
• Alan McGuinnis: Ask yourself—
– Do we usually end up going to the restaurant or watch the movie I prefer?
– Do I enjoy correcting factual errors in other people’s conversations?
– Do I use humor to put down my friends?
– Do I have to know more about a topic than others to feel comfortable discussing it?(Friendship Factor 63)
– 1 Corinthians 13:5—“Love is not -seeking.”
• Friendship Secret #2—Let’s ! (Communication)
– Les and Leslie Parrott (in their book), observe: “Consider this fact: Men say three times as many words in public as they do in private, while women say three times as many words in private as they do in public.” (Saving Your Marriage Before It Starts 108)
– Alan McGinnis: “There can be no intimacy without .” (Friendship Factor 105)
– Luke 24:15—“[Cleopas and his friend] talked and discussed these things with .”
• Friendship Secret #3—Quit keeping . (Gift of a Good Forgetter)
– Jacques Vaudre: “Keeping score belongs in competitive sports, not in a mutually supportive relationship. . . . The idea that love involves some sort of quid pro quo, is, at best, evidence of immaturity that needs to be outgrown. At worst, it is a distortion of love that turns two people into unhappy combatants vying for control.” (Six Dynamic Keys 120)
– Matthew 6:12 NIV—“And forgive us our debts as we also [GK already forgiven our debtors.”
• Friendship Secret #4—I’m willing to so you can . (Self-sacrifice)
– The sacrificial love of a mother for her child
– John 15:13—“Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s .”
Best Friends Forever
It’s that time of the year again! Join us and have fun with your friends and family on the hayride! Hot dogs, veggies, chips, s’mores, and beverages will be served.
5:30-7:30 PM Sunday October 20, 2019
Location: Five Pines Ministries, 6597 Smith Rd. Berrien Center
Grief and Loss Colloquium
In this time of earth’s history, losses of all types are inevitable. We will not only face “normal” death events of loved ones and church members, but traumatic events with large-scale death. This resulting trauma must be anticipated. Preparation to be of help to others even while grieving ourselves will become essential. Now is the time to become prepared to use a set of skills that will be helpful and reflect the process that Jesus used when He was on earth.
9:00 AM Sunday September 22, 2019
Location: Theological Seminary S340
Adventist Forum Meeting
Dr. Gary Fraser, director of the Loma Linda Health Study, will present "Living Longer, Living Better: Exploring the Adventist Health Studies" on September 28, 2019 at 3:30 in Garber Auditorium, Chan Shun Hall. This meeting is open to everyone!
3:30 PM September 28, 2019
Location: Garber Auditorium, Chan Shun Hall
Committed was founded in 2003, and the group solidified their sound while at school together at Oakwood University in Huntsville, AL. It has been their strong faith, hard work and creativity that has gotten them to the point of being called one of the nation’s top ten a cappella groups.
7:00 PM October 13
Location: Howard Performing Arts Center
Volunteers are needed to commit to one Sabbath a month to help with the flow of traffic during services. If interested or for more info call, text, or email Derrill at 732.379.1300 or legoh@ andrews.edu
Beautiful and Believable
Andrews University invites you to come join us as we dig deeper into God’s Word during its Fall Week of Prayer. All are welcome at the morning or evening sessions. The presentations are not being live-streamed, but they are being recorded and we'll link to them through our e-newsletter at a later date.
11:30 AM & 7:30 PM
Children's church is back! Rich Aguilera presents WILDERNESS ADVENTURE starting September 21 at 4pm at Andrews Academy. Free and open to all, bring a friend!
4:00 PM September 21
Location: Andrews Academy
The gold medal recipients of the largest chamber music competition in the world are making a stop on their Winner’s Tour across the Midwest. Since forming at Texas Tech University in the fall of 2015, the Aruna Quartet has performed a wide range of traditional and contemporary repertoire. Aruna Quartet was awarded the Gold Medal and Grand Prize at the 46th Fischoff National Chamber Music Competition held on the campus of the University of Notre Dame this year.
7:00 PM, September 22, 2019
Location: Howard Performing Arts Center
Do you want a more meaningful and consistent walk with Jesus? Register for a weekend with David Asscherick and Ty Gibson and dig into what the Great Commission is all about. Event details at ariseintensive.com. Pre-registration is essential.
September 21-22, 2019
Location: Andrews University
The OSHKOSH report: A very special Pioneer Memorial Church Vespers Sabbath September 21 at 7pm. You are chosen!
September 21, 2019, 7:00 PM
Location: PMC Youth Chapel