Since 1983, Dwight Nelson has served as lead pastor of the Pioneer Memorial Church on the campus of Andrews University. He preaches on the “New Perceptions” telecast, teaches at the theological seminary and has written some books, including The Chosen. He and his wife, Karen, are blessed with two married children and 2 granddaughters.
• #1—“Two are better than one” because you have someone to share the . (Financial benefit)
- “Research has shown the financial benefits of marriage. Long-term marriage offers a 77% better rate of return than staying single and total wealth of married persons increases 16% year over year. In other words, the you are married, the more money you make. . . . [I]f this was the reported returns on a stock growth fund, we’d all be jumping in.” (www.moneyunder30.com/financial-benefits-of-marriage)
• #2—“Two are better than one” because you have someone to help you . (Emotional benefit)
• #3—“Two are better than one” because you have someone to keep you . (Physical benefit)
• #4—“Two are better than one” because you have someone to help you . (Security benefit)
» A great love story most have never heard . . .
- C. S. Lewis: “We feasted on love; every mode of it, solemn and merry, romantic and realistic, sometimes as dramatic as a thunderstorm, sometimes comfortable and unemphatic as putting on your soft slippers. She was my pupil and my teacher, my subject and my sovereign, my trusty comrade, friend, shipmate, fellow-soldier. My mistress, but at the same time all that any man friend has ever been to me.” (Quoted in Saving Your Marriage Before It Starts 142)
- Les and Leslie Parrott: “If there is a lesson to be gained from this amazing love story, it must be that partners without a spiritual depth of oneness can never compete with the fullness of love that enjoy. Marriage, when it is healthy, has a mystical way of revealing God; a way of bringing a smiling peace to our restless hearts.” (142)
» The third strand
• Jeremiah 9:24—“Let the one who boasts boast about this: that they have the understanding to know [yada] me, that I am the LORD.”
• Genesis 4:1—“Adam made love [yada] to his wife Eve, and she became pregnant.”
• God takes the same word for “making love” [yada] and declares “That’s what I want in a relationship with you—the between a husband and a wife—I want you to know me like Adam knew Eve.”
• Alan McGinnis: “There can be no intimacy without .” (The Friendship Factor 105)
• Alice Fryling: “[Sex] is an expression of intimacy, not the to intimacy. True intimacy springs from verbal and emotional communion. True intimacy is built on a commitment to honesty, love and freedom. True intimacy is not primarily a sexual encounter. Intimacy, in fact, has almost nothing to do with our organs. A prostitute may expose her body, but her relationships are hardly intimate.” (www.focusonthefamily.com/faith/three-lies-about-premarital-sex/)
• Don’t miss Adventist Engaged Encounter with Jeff/Twyla Smith (Nov 1-3).
• Ecclesiastes 4:12—“A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.”
- The Third Strand—Proverbs 18:24/John 15:13-14
- #1 Felt Need—How to grow a relationship with God
It’s that time of the year again! Join us and have fun with your friends and family on the hayride! Hot dogs, veggies, chips, s’mores, and beverages will be served.
5:30-7:30 PM Sunday October 20, 2019
Location: Five Pines Ministries, 6597 Smith Rd. Berrien Center
Grief and Loss Colloquium
In this time of earth’s history, losses of all types are inevitable. We will not only face “normal” death events of loved ones and church members, but traumatic events with large-scale death. This resulting trauma must be anticipated. Preparation to be of help to others even while grieving ourselves will become essential. Now is the time to become prepared to use a set of skills that will be helpful and reflect the process that Jesus used when He was on earth.
9:00 AM Sunday September 22, 2019
Location: Theological Seminary S340
Adventist Forum Meeting
Dr. Gary Fraser, director of the Loma Linda Health Study, will present "Living Longer, Living Better: Exploring the Adventist Health Studies" on September 28, 2019 at 3:30 in Garber Auditorium, Chan Shun Hall. This meeting is open to everyone!
3:30 PM September 28, 2019
Location: Garber Auditorium, Chan Shun Hall
Committed was founded in 2003, and the group solidified their sound while at school together at Oakwood University in Huntsville, AL. It has been their strong faith, hard work and creativity that has gotten them to the point of being called one of the nation’s top ten a cappella groups.
7:00 PM October 13
Location: Howard Performing Arts Center
Volunteers are needed to commit to one Sabbath a month to help with the flow of traffic during services. If interested or for more info call, text, or email Derrill at 732.379.1300 or legoh@ andrews.edu
Beautiful and Believable
Andrews University invites you to come join us as we dig deeper into God’s Word during its Fall Week of Prayer. All are welcome at the morning or evening sessions. The presentations are not being live-streamed, but they are being recorded and we'll link to them through our e-newsletter at a later date.
11:30 AM & 7:30 PM
Children's church is back! Rich Aguilera presents WILDERNESS ADVENTURE starting September 21 at 4pm at Andrews Academy. Free and open to all, bring a friend!
4:00 PM September 21
Location: Andrews Academy
The gold medal recipients of the largest chamber music competition in the world are making a stop on their Winner’s Tour across the Midwest. Since forming at Texas Tech University in the fall of 2015, the Aruna Quartet has performed a wide range of traditional and contemporary repertoire. Aruna Quartet was awarded the Gold Medal and Grand Prize at the 46th Fischoff National Chamber Music Competition held on the campus of the University of Notre Dame this year.
7:00 PM, September 22, 2019
Location: Howard Performing Arts Center
Do you want a more meaningful and consistent walk with Jesus? Register for a weekend with David Asscherick and Ty Gibson and dig into what the Great Commission is all about. Event details at ariseintensive.com. Pre-registration is essential.
September 21-22, 2019
Location: Andrews University
The OSHKOSH report: A very special Pioneer Memorial Church Vespers Sabbath September 21 at 7pm. You are chosen!
September 21, 2019, 7:00 PM
Location: PMC Youth Chapel