I Will Do a New Thing
The Purpose: I Will Do a New Thing
SpeakerDwight K. Nelson
Since 1983, Dwight Nelson has served as lead pastor of the Pioneer Memorial Church on the campus of Andrews University. He preaches on the “New Perceptions” telecast, teaches at the theological seminary and has written some books, including The Chosen. He and his wife, Karen, are blessed with two married children and 2 granddaughters.
More In This Series
“The Purpose: ‘I Will Do a New Thing’”
□ A Text Message and a Story
- The story of Pavel—Ron Clouzet, Adventism’s Greatest Need: The Outpouring of the Holy Spirit
- 3 Key Ingredients to Transformational Revival:
□ Isaiah 43:19, 44:3
God’s “new thing”: “I will pour out My on your .”
□ Isaiah 62:6, 7
- New Living Translation: “O Jerusalem, I have posted watchmen on your walls; they will pray to the LORD day and night for the fulfillment of his promises. Take no , all you who pray. Give the LORD no until he makes Jerusalem the object of praise throughout the earth.”
The Voice: “Tirelessly God—give Him no rest—until He reestablishes Jerusalem and makes it worthy of praise throughout the whole world.”
- “Jerusalem” = Zion = people of God OT = church NT “called out ones”
- “Watchmen” = people who make an extraordinary commitment to pray on behalf of the community of faith = intercessors of the first degree = anonymous and often unrecognized = who demonstrate before God a D-U-E uncommon but not unrewarded = for God names them as the spiritual sentinels of His people.
- But we cannot defer to them our own divine calling to experience D-U-E.
Mark Batterson: “Desperate times call for desperate measures, and there is no more
desperate act than praying . There comes a moment when you need to throw caution to the wind and draw a circle in the sand. There comes a moment when you need to defy protocol, drop to your knees, and pray for the . There comes a moment when you need to muster every ounce of faith you have and call down from heaven.” (The Circle Maker: Praying Circles Around Your Biggest Dreams and Greatest Fears 84)
- Thus our “preseason of prayer” counting down to the new year on this campus.
- Christ’s Object Lessons: “ [D-U-E] for the Holy Spirit. God stands back of every promise He has made [Isaiah 43:19; 44:3]. With your Bible in your hands say, I have done as Thou hast said. I present Thy promise, ‘Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you.’ . . . When with earnestness and intensity [D-U-E] we breathe a prayer in the name of Christ, there is in that very intensity a pledge from God that He is about to answer our prayer ‘exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think.’ Ephesians 3:20.” (147)
- BONUS PROMISE: “The more earnestly and steadfastly we ask, the will be our spiritual union with Christ. We shall receive increased blessings because we have increased faith.” (Christ’s Object Lessons 146)
- The story of James A. Stewart and a revival in Europe
Will you join me in D-U-E praying in this preseason of prayer?
Isn’t D-U-E due now?
Are you friendly and do you enjoy social media? Then, we have a great opportunity for you to be involved in ministry. Through streaming its services on Facebook Live and our website, Pioneer Memorial Church reaches thousands of people every single week. We’re looking to build a new team of local moderators/hosts for our online chat experiences. You could do this from your home. For more information contact Rodlie Ortiz at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Over the summer and fall of 2019 Pioneer underwent significant physical renovation—including a new roof and a major Sanctuary makeover. During the same time congregation leaders engaged in multiple conversations about our missional renovation—how does a faith community like Pioneer seriously engage and impact the people around us for Christ? From this dialogue emerged a fresh new expression of our Pioneer mission: "Love on the Move."