Galaxy Three: Why What Is Happening a Billion Light Years Away Right Now Matters to You
Galaxy Three: The Story of the Sperm
DVDsTo purchase a DVD of this sermon please visit our online shopping cart. Proceeds go to support the New Perceptions media ministry.
Buy DVD Online Buy series
SpeakerDwight K. Nelson
Since 1983, Dwight Nelson has served as lead pastor of the Pioneer Memorial Church on the campus of Andrews University. He preaches on the “New Perceptions” telecast, teaches at the theological seminary and has written some books, including The Chosen. He and his wife, Karen, are blessed with two married children and 2 granddaughters.
More In This Series
“Galaxy Three: The Story of the Sperm”—1
- The humanity of Jesus
- Matthew 1:20—“. . . because what is in her is from the Holy Spirit.’”
- Romans 1:3—“. . . concerning His Son Jesus Christ our Lord, who was born of the seed [Greek: ] of David according to the flesh.”
- John 1:14—“The Word became [i.e., the divine One became ].”
- 4 stunning truths about the humanity of Jesus and us:
- #1—We do know that we share the same with Him.
- Hebrews 2:11
- #2—We do know that we share the same with Him.
- Hebrews 2:14-17
- Peter O’Brien: “In the earlier reference [2:14] the focus was upon Jesus’ adoption of human nature; here [2:17] the stress is on his sharing in all the experiences of life. . . . on the identification of the incarnate Son with his brothers and sisters.” (The Letter to the Hebrews 119)
- #3—We do know that we share the same with Him.
- Hebrews 4:15
- The Greek word, sumpatheo is a compound word: patheo (to suffer) + sum (with)—i.e., to suffer with, to .
- Charles Spurgeon: “There is no pang that rends the heart or disturbs the body but that Jesus has been with us in it all. . . . There is no glen of adversity so dark, so deep, apparently so pathless, but that in stooping down you may discover the footprints of the Crucified One.” (Day by Day 269)
- #4—We do know that we share the same with Him.
- Hebrews 4:15
- Oswald Chambers: “Temptation is a suggested to the realization of the highest at which I aim—not towards what I understand as evil, but towards what I understand as good.” (My Utmost for His Highest 261)
- We share the same temptations with Jesus, with this major difference: “.” (Hebrews 4:15)
- B. F. Wescott:“Sympathy with the sinner in his trial [temptation] does not depend on the experience of sin but on the experience of the strength of the temptation to sin which only the sinless can know in its full intensity. He who falls yields before the last strain.” (Quoted in F. F. Bruce, The Epistle to the Hebrews 116)
- Hebrews 4:16
- #5—We do know that we share the same with Him forever and ever. Amen.
- Desire of Ages: “It was Satan’s purpose to bring about an eternal separation between God and man; but in Christ we become more closely united to God than if we had never fallen. In taking our nature, the Saviour has Himself to humanity by a tie that is never to be broken. . . . In Christ the family of earth and the family of heaven are bound together. Christ glorified is our brother. Heaven is enshrined in humanity, and humanity is enfolded in the bosom of Infinite Love.” (25, 26).
- #1—We do know that we share the same with Him.
“Then let us fix our eyes on Jesus”
Please mark Sabbath, October 3 (9:00/11:45 AM), for a joyful celebration of the Lord's Supper as a worshiping community. While we will participate with actual emblems of bread and wine, because of the pandemic the elements will be prepackaged for your safety. These packaged elements will be available for your pickup at the church office the week before (Monday, September 28 through Sabbath, October 3). On-site worshipers will receive the packaged communion elements upon arriving for worship Sabbath morning.
But how will we celebrate foot washing? We're inviting every worshiper and family to experience Jesus' example in John 13 by washing each other's feet that Friday evening where you live. If you would like someone with whom to share this foot washing, you may either invite a friend to join you or please call Claudia Sowler (269-471-3134) for arrangements. Why not make this foot washing a part of your Friday evening worship as we gather across this community to welcome the Lord of the Sabbath into our homes at sundown?
Then Sabbath morning through music, prayer, the reading, and preaching of the Word ("American Apocalypse: How to Train Your Dragon—By the Blood of the Lamb") let's throw wide our hearts to the Christ we love to worship. "Do this in remembrance of Me" (Luke 22:19).
The 4th Quarter Lesson Study Guides are ready for you to pick up at the church office during regular business hours.
Pioneer's Bible Journey Sabbath School class will be using the Experiencing God: Knowing and Doing the Will of God (Study Guide) next quarter, beginning October 3. If you have always wanted to read this book, which has changed so many lives, you are welcome to
join us by Zoom. The class meets each Sabbath from 10:30 to 11:30 a.m. The 270-page study guide, which is conveniently divided into 12 weekly lessons, can be purchased at Amazon.com for $15.99. For more information and to receive the Zoom link each week, please contact Jane Thayer at email@example.com.
Are you friendly and do you enjoy social media? Then, we have a great opportunity for you to be involved in ministry. Through streaming its services on Facebook Live and our website, Pioneer Memorial Church reaches thousands of people every single week. We’re looking to build a new team of local moderators/hosts for our online chat experiences. You could do this from your home. For more information contact Rodlie Ortiz at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you to all those who helped in any way to promote and support our July 23 Red Cross Blood Drive. That includes the Pioneer pastors and staff and especially the Pioneer Safety Committee who helped us establish COVID-related safety protocols and procedures with the Red Cross for the drive. Thank you to those who recruited someone to give, promoted the drive, helped set up, take down, register participants and
provide refreshments after donations. And, a SUPER SPECIAL THANK YOU to those that Gave The Gift Of Life by donating precious blood. We had one of our most successful summer blood drives ever despite the COVID virus (or, maybe because of the COVID virus). Less people away at camp meetings and traveling and vacationing? Just a hunch. Our next blood drive is scheduled for October 20, 2020 and again on February 24, 2021. Be well and God Bless! -Larry Ulery
Over the summer and fall of 2019 Pioneer underwent significant physical renovation—including a new roof and a major Sanctuary makeover. During the same time congregation leaders engaged in multiple conversations about our missional renovation—how does a faith community like Pioneer seriously engage and impact the people around us for Christ? From this dialogue emerged a fresh new expression of our Pioneer mission: "Love on the Move."