DVDsTo purchase a DVD of this sermon please visit our online shopping cart. Proceeds go to support the New Perceptions media ministry.
Buy DVD Online Buy series
SpeakerDwight K. Nelson
Since 1983, Dwight Nelson has served as lead pastor of the Pioneer Memorial Church on the campus of Andrews University. He preaches on the “New Perceptions” telecast, teaches at the theological seminary and has written some books, including The Chosen. He and his wife, Karen, are blessed with two married children and 2 granddaughters.
More In This Series
"'You Turned My Mourning into Dancing'"
- The Story—1 Chronicles 21
- The Song—Psalm 30
- Jean Twenge: iGen: Why Today's Super-Connected Kids Are Growing Up Less Rebellious, More Tolerant, Less Happy—and Completely Unprepared for Adulthood (and What That Means for the Rest of Us): "In 2016, for the first time, the majority of entering college students described their mental health as below average.... The sudden, sharp rise in depressive symptoms occurred at almost exactly the same time that smartphones became ubiquitous and in-person interaction plummeted." (104)
- Tommy Walker/Ron Kenoly: "You've turned my mourning Into dancing again/You've lifted my sorrows/I can't stay silent/I must sing for Your joy has come..."
- Ellen White, Ministry of Healing:
- "Nothing tends more to promote health of body and of soul than does a spirit of and . It is a positive duty to resist melancholy, discontented thoughts and feelings—as much a duty as it is to . If we are heaven-bound, how can we go as a band of mourners, groaning and complaining all along the way to our Father’s house?" (251)
- " is a weapon we can always use against discouragement. As we thus open the heart to the sunlight of the Saviour’s presence, we shall have health and His blessing." (254)
- "It is a law of nature that our thoughts and feelings are encouraged and strengthened as we give them utterance. While words express thoughts, it is also true that thoughts follow words [feelings follow (behavior)]. If we would give more expression to our faith, rejoice more in the blessings that we know we have—the great mercy and love of God—we should have more faith and greater joy [talk faith until you have faith]." (251-253)
- Miroslav Volf: "There can be no redemption unless the truth about the world is told and justice is done. To treat sin as if it were not there, when in fact it is there, amounts to living as if the world were redeemed when in fact it is not." (Alberto Garcia, John Nunes Wittenberg Meets the World: Reimagining the Reformation at the Margins 75)
"You turned my mourning into morning!"
Are you friendly and do you enjoy social media? Then, we have a great opportunity for you to be involved in ministry. Through streaming its services on Facebook Live and our website, Pioneer Memorial Church reaches thousands of people every single week. We’re looking to build a new team of local moderators/hosts for our online chat experiences. You could do this from your home. For more information contact Rodlie Ortiz at email@example.com.
Over the summer and fall of 2019 Pioneer underwent significant physical renovation—including a new roof and a major Sanctuary makeover. During the same time congregation leaders engaged in multiple conversations about our missional renovation—how does a faith community like Pioneer seriously engage and impact the people around us for Christ? From this dialogue emerged a fresh new expression of our Pioneer mission: "Love on the Move."