To purchase a DVD of this sermon please visit our online shopping cart. Proceeds go to support the New Perceptions media ministry.
Buy DVD OnlineBuy series
Dwight K. Nelson
Since 1983, Dwight Nelson has served as lead pastor of the Pioneer Memorial Church on the campus of Andrews University. He preaches on the “New Perceptions” telecast, teaches at the theological seminary and has written some books, including The Chosen. He and his wife, Karen, are blessed with two married children and 2 granddaughters.
• Ranko Stefanovic: “Because of its favorable location on the system of Roman roads, the city became one of the greatest commercial and financial centers of the ancient world.” (Revelation of Jesus Christ 144)
• Parallel #2—
• Parallel #3—
• Parallel #4—
• Roy Allen Anderson: “Valuable wool was produced in the valley, soft in texture, glossy black in color, but tinged as it were with violet. Black garments were worn almost exclusively by the Laodiceans as evidence of their wealth.” (Unfolding the Revelation 42)
• Parallel #5—
• Parallel #6—
• Jacques Doukhan: “Their mentality is but the symptom of a civilization that prides itself in its secularism and humanism while excluding God. . . . The human has usurped the divine on all levels.” (Secrets of Revelation 46)
• Parallel #7—
• Greek—”a people judged”
•Ellen White: “The Lord has done more for the United States than for any other country upon which the sun shines. . . . Here Christianity has progressed in its purity. . . . But the enemy of all righteousness has designs upon God’s purpose for this country. He will bring in enterprises that will lead men to forget that there is a God. Worldliness and covetousness, which is idolatry, will prevail through the working of the archdeceiver, till the law of God, in all its bearings, shall be made void.” (Maranatha 193)
• James Warren: “[Roger] Williams disavowed the Puritan’s cherished belief that their Holy Commonwealths were in a special covenant with God. There was no ‘chosen nation’ in the seventeenth century, nor had there been once since Moses’ Israel. Williams believed . . . that ‘since the coming of Christ the only way God had contracted with men . . . was through the churches of Christ. . . . Nobody of men who now employed force in defense of religion, whether at home or abroad, could claim the name Christian.’” (God, War and Providence 70-71)
• America is a Christian nation.
• Martin Luther King, Jr: “The church must be reminded that it is not the master or the servant of the state, but rather the of the state.”
• Jonathan Walton: “‘Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness’ are promised by America and God. But they are not the same in origin, practice, or motive. The goals and intentions of the Declaration of Independence sit in opposition to the gospel of Christ. The totality of Scripture does not endorse the marriage of God and country or the establishment, development, or practices of any country in the name of Jesus.” (Twelve Lies That Hold America Captive: And the Truth That Sets Us Free 18)
»So what hope is there for this nation?
•Revelation 14:6-7—”And I saw another angel flying in midheaven, having an eternal gospel to preach to those who live on the earth, and to every nation and tribe and tongue and people; and he said with a loud voice, ‘Fear God, and give Him glory, because the hour of His judgment has come; worship Him who made the heaven and the earth and sea and springs of waters.’”
• Acts 4:12—”’Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to mankind by which we must be saved [than the name of Jesus].”
• John 4:42—”They said to the woman, ‘We no longer believe just because of what you said; now we have heard for ourselves, and we know that this Man really is the Savior of the world.’”
• Jon Meacham: “‘A bold President who knew himself to be supported by a majority in the country, might be tempted to override the law, and deprive the minority of the protection which the law affords it,’ [James] Bryce wrote. ‘He might be a tyrant, not against the masses, but with the masses.’” (The Soul of America: The Battle for Our Better Angels 271)
• America’s thought leaders need Liberty.
God save America—and let me help You!
New Zoom Sabbath School Class
We would like to inform you that the Seminary Sabbath School class usually taught by Jacques Doukhan and others in room 150 at the Seminary, will be held this quarter (January-March 2022) via Zoom, with the participation of Dr. Felix Cortez, author of the current quarterly on Hebrews. If interested, here is the zoom link for the whole quarter. We appreciate your help in spreading this information to other class members.
Dr. Jacques Doukhan will teach this week's lesson (January 22), "Jesus our Faithful Brother." I invite all of you to this spiritual feast, to think, discuss and grow together. See you soon,
MAP Funding for N2N
Recently, Neighbor To Neighbor(N2N) received $35,000 from the Michigan Advance Plan (MAP) special projects fund to help with the renovation of the Client Services area. This is a gift to the churches in District 9 that support N2N. Have you supported MAP recently? It is an opportunity to support projects like this as well as evangelism, education, camp meeting and camp. Consider being a MAP Partner and devoting one percent of income each month to these lay sponsored projects.
How To Be Rich
We will show a four part series How to Be Rich by Andy Stanley 1/15 "Congratulations" 1/22 "Side Effects" 1/29 "Dollar Cost Living" 2/5 "Diversify"
Come and learn the Bible way: “I will not put my trust in riches but in HIM who richly provides.”
Something In Common Sabbath School meets in Room 141 at 10:30 am
Adventist Engaged Encounter Feb 18-20
Adventist Engaged Encounter (AEE) is a fun weekend intensive workshop for seriously dating, engaged, and newlywed couples. AEE is not group therapy, no sharing with the group required, and it IS a private, safe environment with 12 guided sessions by marriage mentors. AEE is a great tool to add to your relationship toolbox, but AEE IS NOT CRISIS COUNSELING. AEE IS designed to help you take your relationship to the next level of love, connection, focus, and commitment. The weekend of Meetings will be held in the lower level of Nethery Hall starting at 6:30 PM 2/18/22.
New Winter Sabbath Journey: "A Banner Unfurled"
I hope you will join us (online or in-person) for a worship journey we may never have been on together. "A Banner Unfurled" will be a fresh plunge into the shining truth about our Creator-Savior and His gift of the seventh day, the Sabbath, to humanity.
We won’t be arguing over which Day—we already know. But we will be creatively exploring how existentially/experientially the treasure of Christ embedded in the Day can reignite our pandemic-shadowed lives with new light and meaning this New Year.
I'm praying we'll never be the same again as a result of this exploration. And I hope you invite your friends and family to join us.
For your handy reference here is the lineup of our Pioneer winter Sabbaths in 2022:
January 8 – "Killing Time"
January 15 – "'The Peace of Wild Things'"
January 22 – "'All the Light We Cannot See'"
January 29 – Andrews University Student Association Sabbath
February 5 – "Familiarity Breeds Contempt"
February 12 – "'My Soul Followeth Hard After Thee'"
February 19 – Pathfinder Sabbath
February 26 – "'The Things on Which the Light Falls'"
March 5 – "By Playing Silly Games"
Join The Crayon Box Team
Andrews University’s Children’s Learning Center, The Crayon Box, is looking for a dedicated, responsible, loving and creative individual to join our staff to teach and care for our Pre-K (4 year old) children. Must meet Michigan LARA requirements for Lead Caregiver. Must be available to work 9:00-3:00 Monday - Thursday. This position is temporary with the possibility leading to full time employment. Background check, finger printing, TB test and additional job related trainings required. Job requires much physical activity and a high energy level and accuracy and efficiency is required
Must be at least 18 years of age with high school diploma. Must meet LARA requirements for lead caregiver: a bachelor's degree or higher in early childhood education, child development, or a child-related field, associate’s degree or higher in early childhood education or child development or high school diploma with coursework in child-related field and experience. Must love children. Must have a warm and friendly personality with sensitivity to the feelings and needs of both children and adults. Must display a willingness to fulfill responsibilities in accordance with the center's philosophy and mission. Must be a Seventh-day Adventist in good and regular standing.
Pioneer Memorial Church is a place where serving others is its reason for being. There is a healing power in serving others. In the next few weeks, you will hear of opportunities to serve and heal. Respond to the call on your mind and heart. Serve as God leads you. Heal as God heals you.
2 Timothy 4:18 “The Lord will rescue me from every evil attack and will bring me safely to his heavenly kingdom. To him be glory for ever and ever. Amen.”
God has protected us from multiple supernatural powers. The apostle Paul speaks about his assurance concerning God’s protection and deliverance from every evil attack. God’s rescue from such supernatural powers was one motive leading Paul to constantly give God glory and worship. As a young boy, Eric struggled with frequent nightmares, dreaming of attacks by strange animals that looked like some of the divinities worshipped in his culture.
Frequently, he would wake up sweating and crying. As soon as he went back to sleep, the nightmares would return. To make things worse, Eric’s family would often hear strange noises on the steel roof of their house, like someone running or a stone rolling. The parents were convinced that their home was haunted and that the evil spirit wanted to kill their son. They tried every possible means to ensure protection from these supernatural attacks. Among many things, the parents would bring the boy to a Hindu priest for regular rituals, and once a year, they would do a pilgrimage to the grave of a priest. They vowed not to cut Eric’s hair until he turned 7.
Apparently, these strategies did not bring the little boy peace. Finally, they resolved to seek help from the God of the Bible. At bedtime, the mother would read Psalm 91 while laying hands on the boy’s head. Gradually, Eric began making the connection between a night without nightmares and prayers before sleeping. He became convinced of the existence of a God who is more powerful than the evil forces which were harassing him. For complete security, he dedicated his life to the powerful God.
Evil attacks may be visible or invisible, known or unknown, but they are a reality that many experiences. However, everyone and everything dedicated to God can be securely preserved. This week, as we worship with our tithe and regular offerings let us express thankfulness for the divine protection.
—North American Division Stewardship Ministries
Lead a Spring 2022 Grow Group
It's a fresh new year, and it's time for a fresh new Grow Groups season! Grow Groups are Pioneer’s small groups that incorporate 5 S's: Shared interest, Spiritual touchpoint, Service project, Social event, Semester-based. That’s it, in a nutshell! Grow Groups are for EVERYONE—church members and nonmembers, local folks and our friends around the world are all welcome to join.
Right now we’re looking for leaders for both in-person and online groups. If you are passionate about something and want to use that passion to foster community and lead others to Jesus, we can probably help you turn that passion into a Grow Group! Let us know as soon as possible, because the deadline to sign up to lead a group is January 20. For more information please email firstname.lastname@example.org or register your group today!
Sugar Fast - Jesus Feast
Erin Dockerty, a Pioneer member, is coordinating a virtual event in a private Facebook community where you’ll receive daily scripture & encouragement. Participate in the community at the level you are comfortable. Let's fight the overwhelm of this world with more of Jesus. Join at https://forms.gle/iMAQ2tFGMHqfuL9r8