To purchase a DVD of this sermon please visit our online shopping cart. Proceeds go to support the New Perceptions media ministry.
Buy DVD OnlineBuy series
Dwight K. Nelson
Since 1983, Dwight Nelson has served as lead pastor of the Pioneer Memorial Church on the campus of Andrews University. He preaches on the “New Perceptions” telecast, teaches at the theological seminary and has written some books, including The Chosen. He and his wife, Karen, are blessed with two married children and 2 granddaughters.
• The promise: You will sit with Me on My one day.
• The condition: You must first today.
• Sigve Tonstad: “Awareness of conflict changes the way we construe victory and defeat. While Jesus makes promises ‘to everyone who conquers,’ with no object in the sentence, the tenor of conflict is better preserved if we translate it ‘to everyone who overcomes .’ It is not wrong to say that the believers ‘overcome’ or ‘conquer,’ but it is implied throughout that they are engaged in a .”
• Revelation 12:7-9, 12, 17
• “If the curtain could be rolled back, and each one could discern the constant activities of the heavenly family to preserve the inhabitants of the earth from Satan’s seductive
wiles, . . . [t]hey would see that the armies of heaven are in continual warfare with satanic agencies, to obtain victories in behalf of those who do not sense their danger, and who are passing on in unconscious indifference. Angels are belting the world, refusing Satan his claims to supremacy. . . . We hear not the voices, we see not with the natural sight the work of these angels, but their hands are linked about the world, and with sleepless vigilance they are keeping the armies of Satan at bay.” (In Heavenly Places 98)
• “To the one who overcomes as I .”
• John 16:33— “‘In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have the world!’”
» Why don’t more Christians live victorious lives?
• Reason #1—We do not fully appreciate the sinfulness of .
• Vaughn Allen: “We do not realize how utterly detestable sin is; we do not comprehend how contrary sin is to God’s character and how terribly offensive it is to Him. We have lived with sin and its results so long and toyed with it so much that for us it has lost much of its horror and repugnance.” (The War Is Real: And So Is the Victory 71)
• Steps to Christ: “We shall not renounce sin unless we see its .” (23)
• Vaughn Allen: “The absolute horror of sin can be seen only when we look at the . It would be well for us each day to pray that God would give us a genuine abhorrence of sin and a for it because of what it did to the Son of God and because of what it does to us.” (71)
• Reason #2—We are not convinced that sin is possible in this life.
• Great Controversy: “If those who hide and excuse their faults could see how Satan exults over them, how he taunts Christ and holy angels with their course, they would make haste to confess their sins and to put them away. Through defects in the character, Satan works to gain control of the whole mind, and he knows that if these defects are cherished, he will succeed. Therefore he is constantly seeking to deceive the followers of Christ with his sophistry that it is impossible for them to overcome.” (489)
• Signs of the Times: “Without Christ we cannot subdue a single sin or overcome the smallest temptation.” (August 10, 1891)
• Jesus: “‘Without Me you can do nothing.’” John 15:5
• Philippians 4:13—“I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.”
• Jude 24—“Now to Him who is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of His glory with exceeding joy.
• Selected Messages: “He who has not sufficient faith in Christ to believe that He can keep him from , has not the faith that will give him an entrance into the kingdom of God.” (3:360)
• 1 John 2:1, 13-14; 5:3-4
• Revelation 3:20
• Before Jesus commands Laodicea to “ ” the devil, He invites us to “ ” the door.
• Selected Messages: “John pointed the people to the Lamb of God who taketh away the sins of the world. He said, ‘Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.’ There is a great deal in that ‘taketh away.’ The question is, Shall we keep on sinning as though it were an impossibility for us to overcome? How are we to overcome? As Christ overcame, and that is the only way. He prayed to His heavenly Father. We can do the same....When tempted to speak wrong and do wrong resist Satan and say, I will not surrender my will to your control. I will cooperate with divine power and through grace be conqueror.” (3:195)
“Faith is the Victory”
Spring Grow Groups are Ready to Join!
Our brand new roster of Spring Grow Groups is online and ready to join! We have support groups, activity groups, study groups, and more! Some groups are meeting online and some will meet in person, so find a group that works for you and register today! Grow Groups are open to everyone, so invite a friend or neighbor to join with you! Groups will officially run from February 6-April 30, but start and end dates vary. Text JOIN to 269-281-2345 or head to pmchurch.org/grow to check out the exciting array of groups we have lined up for this semester.
Natural Approaches to Prevention and Management of Alzheimer's
The series is on lifestyle issues and other medical issues pertaining to Alzheimer's on how to address them.
-Dates: January 31-February 4, 2022
-Time: 2-4 pm
-Speaker: Linda Mammen, M.D.
-To register or inquire, contact (269) 268-0109
Offering for January 29, 2022
Pioneer Operating Budget
The Price of Life
Numbers 8:17 “Every firstborn male in Israel, whether human or animal, is mine. When I struck down all the firstborn in Egypt, I set them apart for myself.”
We worship God with our resources because He has preserved our lives. We all remember Joseph and Mary bringing baby Jesus to the temple 33 days after his birth. This event is known as the dedication of Jesus and has inspired many Christians. The origin of this practice goes back to the time that the Israelites left Egypt. During the 10th plague, the firstborn of the Egyptian was killed whereas God protected the Israelite firstborn.
As a sign of remembrance, every parent in Israel would consecrate their firstborn son to the Lord and make the corresponding offerings. Depending on the family’s wealth it was either a one-year-old lamb or two turtledoves, offered in appreciation and for the consecration of a spared life.
God is still sparing lives today.
Eric was a young man when he realized how God spared his life. His summer job was to clean some large windowpanes of a three-story building. He had to step out of each room and stood on a 12-centimeter edge to clean the outside surface of the fixed middle panel of each window. There was no security gear, only holding tight the frame with one hand while working with the other. One day, while he was working outside of a room on the third floor, a violent wind closed the window on his hand that was holding the frame.
As a reflex reaction, he opened his grip. For some few seconds, he was standing still, hands free, 20 meters above the ground with no security. Miraculously, Eric came back to himself and managed to take hold of the frame with his injured hand. God had preserved his life and he chose to fully consecrate himself serving His Protector. After going through a pandemic we have many reasons to be thankful. This week as we worship with our tithe and regular offerings let us show appreciation to our Protector.
—North American Division Stewardship Ministries
Pathway to Health Rally
Do you want to participate in the ultimate human experience? Learn more about it on Sabbath, February 5, 2022, at 2:30 PM at the Howard Performing Arts Center. You will hear about an amazing mission opportunity that you can be a part of.
Pathway to Health provides mega health clinics that serve the community. We provide free medical, dental, and other non-medical services to anyone in the community. This year the health clinic will take place in Indianapolis at the Lucas Oil Stadium from April 17-21. Volunteers are needed anytime between April 14-21. Come join us and share the joy of service.
Howard Performing Arts Center
4160 E Campus Circle Drive
Berrien Springs, MI
Honduras Mission Vespers
Come hear the testimonies, see the pictures, rejoice in the answers to prayer! A special mission vespers sharing the blessings of the recent PMC Youth Missions team to Honduras. To God be the glory. Missions Vespers - 5:00 PM. - Sabbath, February 5 - Youth Chapel
Wind Symphony Winter Concert
Come join us for the Wind Symphony Winter Concert this Saturday (January 29) at 8:00 PM in the HPAC, featuring our annual partnership with the SMC Brass Band under the direction of conductor Mark Hollandsworth. We will explore an outdoors theme, with music from the Grand Canyon (Sunrise at Angel’s Gate by Philip Sparke), the Sierra Nevada (The Grand Sierras by Gary Kuo), an Illinois barn dance (Spoon River by Percy Grainger), a Roman volcano (Vesuvius by Frank Ticheli), Rudyard Kipling’s poem The White Seal (The Seal Lullaby by Eric Whitacre), and a tribute to the late Stephen Sondheim (In the Woods).
Anthony Brown and Group TherAPy concert
Anthony Brown is a creative force in music with unparalleled talent as a songwriter, vocal director, producer, worship leader and singer. Brown, along with his background singers, group therAPy, emerged as a breakthrough artist with their first album in 2012 and they have been going forward ever since with four albums to date. “Uplifting” and “invoking a fresh and joyous spirit” have been words used to describe Brown & group therAPy’s music.
We would like to inform you that the Seminary Sabbath School class usually taught by Jacques Doukhan and others in room 150 at the Seminary, will be held this quarter (January-March 2022) via Zoom, with the participation of Dr. Felix Cortez, author of the current quarterly on Hebrews. If interested, here is the zoom link for the whole quarter. We appreciate your help in spreading this information to other class members.
Dr. Jacques Doukhan will teach this week's lesson (January 22), "Jesus our Faithful Brother." I invite all of you to this spiritual feast, to think, discuss and grow together. See you soon,
MAP Funding for N2N
Recently, Neighbor To Neighbor(N2N) received $35,000 from the Michigan Advance Plan (MAP) special projects fund to help with the renovation of the Client Services area. This is a gift to the churches in District 9 that support N2N. Have you supported MAP recently? It is an opportunity to support projects like this as well as evangelism, education, camp meeting and camp. Consider being a MAP Partner and devoting one percent of income each month to these lay sponsored projects.
How To Be Rich
We will show a four part series How to Be Rich by Andy Stanley 1/15 "Congratulations" 1/22 "Side Effects" 1/29 "Dollar Cost Living" 2/5 "Diversify"
Come and learn the Bible way: “I will not put my trust in riches but in HIM who richly provides.”
Something In Common Sabbath School meets in Room 141 at 10:30 am