PMC members who are invited to join the Fellowship Dinner on July 2 are last names Abriot-Byrd. Invitations have been sent to those with email addresses, and members are asked to respond by June 29 via email with the number attending. If you don't have an email address, you may call the church office at 269-471-6565 to reserve spots.
How to Survive the Coming Economic Crisis
If I Were a Rich Man
DVDsTo purchase a DVD of this sermon please visit our online shopping cart. Proceeds go to support the New Perceptions media ministry.
Buy DVD Online Buy series
SpeakerDwight K. Nelson
Since 1983, Dwight Nelson has served as lead pastor of the Pioneer Memorial Church on the campus of Andrews University. He preaches on the “New Perceptions” telecast, teaches at the theological seminary and has written some books, including The Chosen. He and his wife, Karen, are blessed with two married children and 2 granddaughters.
More In This Series
“How to Survive the Coming Economic Crisis:
If I Were a Rich Man”
»3 Short Stories
• Luke 12:13-21
• Headline: “Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of . Life does not consist in an of possessions.” (v 15)
• “Another [happiness] factor is what positive psychologists refer to as the ‘ [pleasure-seeking] treadmill.’ Through the same process of habituation [decrease in our response to a stimulus after being repeatedly exposed to it], the happiness associated with a new purchase, a new job, or a new house soon fades. Trying to recapture and retain feelings of excitement and happiness results in the pursuit of more new things, which becomes a never-ending task, like being on a continuous treadmill.” (www.happify.com/hd/can-money-ever-buy-you-happiness/)
• Tagline: “This is how it will be with whoever stores up things for but is not toward God.” (v 21)
• Investopedia: “According to the Credit Suisse Global Wealth Report 2018, the top percent of adults account for more than 47 percent of household wealth globally. This raises an interesting question: Who exactly are the percent worldwide? The surprising answer: If you’re an American, you don’t have to even be close to being uber-rich to make the list. . . . An income of $ a year will allow you to make the cut. . . . So if you’re an accountant, a registered nurse or even an elementary school teacher, congratulations. The average wage for any of these careers falls well within the top percent worldwide.” (www.investopedia.com/articles/personal-finance/050615/are-you-top-one-pe...)
•Punchline: When you combine the headline to Jesus’ parable with the tagline of His parable, you very quickly come to His punchline: !
• Ed Gungor: “ touches a nerve in us that nothing else does. We look a lot like God when we do it [John 3:16]. When you , you defy the fear that you won’t have enough. You insult , the impulse to acquire or possess more than one needs or deserves. If you really believe that God owns it all and that he is your source and provider, will be a simple matter. . . . The arena of is the only place where exactly what’s going on in your heart is revealed. According to Jesus, keeps your heart in motion toward God and away from material things. . . . Your heart will follow the direction of your .” (Religiously Transmitted Diseases)
• Luke 12:32-34.
• Ellen White: “Let us surrender ourselves a living sacrifice, and our all to Jesus. It is His; we are His purchased possession. Those who are recipients of His grace, who contemplate the cross of Calvary, will not question concerning the proportion to be given, but will feel that the richest offering is all too meager, all disproportionate to the great of the only-begotten Son of the infinite God. Through self-denial, the poorest will find ways of obtaining something to to God.” (RH July 14, 1896)
• Be rich toward the God who’s been rich toward you.
"Be rich toward God"
Michigan Advance Partners
Matthew 6:20-21 "But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.”
Camp Meeting: If you’ve been there, you have seen 1,148 fence stakes pounded into the ground, witnessed your pastors on their knees and backsides stretching 4,525 feet of fencing as straight as possible. If you’ve been there, you saw 2.28 miles of Streamers stretched across the campground and campus, seen prayer groups here, there, and everywhere, and witnessed kids singing “Give me oil in my lamp” and Adults singing songs that they will hum all year.
If you have been there, you have attended several of the 16,056 minutes- or 268 hours of seminars. You’ve watched kids going to their tents and classrooms where they have enjoyed 500 hours of meetings. If you have been there, you probably were one of the hundreds who were carefully licking vegan ice cream cones.
Michigan Camp meeting is the place where you can see the result of thousands of people accepting Christ and a place where you meet someone you do not even know and say, “Happy Sabbath.” It’s a place where you look to someone else and say "It’s so good to see you."
Right now, look to the person next to you and say, “Happy Sabbath.” Now look to someone else and wave or nod to them saying “It is so good to see you.” Did you see that? You just witnessed the joy of Christian fellowship.
This is the type of fellowship that is felt at the Michigan Camp Meeting. Today’s loose offering is for Michigan Advance Partners which helps to support Campmeeting. You can also give directly to Michigan Camp Meeting through the Tithe & Offering Envelope or through online giving. May God bless Campmeeting, as well as each one as we give to this special cause.
—North American Division Stewardship Ministries
This summer, Pioneer Grow Groups are leading a service project to put together a gift basket for each active foster family in Berrien County (about 60 total). These families are meeting a very special need in our community, and Pioneer wants to support them in their love on the move. Each basket will have a summer theme. We plan to include a book, snack items, toys and activities that will appeal to the whole family, information about Pioneer’s Grow Groups and Children and Family Discipleship programs, our Preschool Pray & Play events, and more! Do you want to be love on the move for our county foster families? The information you need is here: pmchurch.org/fosterbasket, where you’ll have the option to volunteer your time to come and assemble baskets, deliver baskets, or hand out baskets to families who choose to come to us.
From Anger to Intimacy with Gary Smalley DVD series
June 11-Anger: Stuff It, Spew It, or Study It
June 18-Personal Responsibility and Emotions
June 25- The Spirit of Forgiveness
July 2- Crafting the Perfect Apology
July 9-Roadblocks to Forgiveness
July 16- Forgiving the Difficult, Addicted or Cheating Spouse
Everyone is welcome Sabbath mornings from 10:30-11:30 in PMC room 141.
Children ages 0-12 are invited to Village SDA Church's castle themed Vacation Bible School! There will be games, snacks, Bible stories and crafts! Children will learn all the ways that Satan tries to attack us and enter into our castle minds. The good news
is that Jesus wants to live in our hearts and protect our castles! Please note: Children 5 and over may be dropped off; however, Children ages 4 and under must be accompanied by an adult. T-shirts are available for pre-purchase by June 1. Register online anytime at https://vbspro.events/p/villagevbs2022
Pioneer is pleased to announce that transportation will be provided for Sabbath services for attendees with physical challenges who would have trouble in negotiating stairs.
Pioneer Traffic and Deacon teams will transport attendees by golf carts from the canopy entrance to the doors at the east entrance (JN Andrews statue). At the end of the service, attendees will be invited to return to the door and alert a greeter to contact the cart that will transport them to their cars.
If you would like to be picked up from your car at the start of the service instead of at the canopy entrance, please call the church office on (269) 471-3133 by Friday at 10:00 AM and supply the following information:
- Name(s) of attendees
- Service attending
- Make, model, and color of car
- Estimated time of arrival
We hope that this interim measure will be a helpful blessing to you.
We are in need for additional volunteers for Pioneer's Traffic Ministry. The weather outside is getting warmer and this would be a great opportunity for you to show your kindness, caring, and smiles to everyone who enters our church doors for Sabbath worship. If you are interested or would like more information, please contact Darryl at firstname.lastname@example.org or text 732-379-1300. Thank you.
Ministry and Grow Group Leaders: We are here to help you create appealing materials both digital and in print in order to familiarize people with your ministry or upcoming event. Because we support many ministries, kindly provide us with at least 10 design days from the time we receive your project details to completion. Additional time may be needed for printing and shipping when applicable. Submit your project online today at pmchurch.org/design/submit. -Pioneer Media Ministry