Do you have the heart to serve the "least of these?" One of our Pioneer ministries provides a simple church service to those in the Juvenile Detention Center in Berrien Center. Saturday evenings at 6:00 PM we host an interactive Bible study and sing songs with the young people there. For more information and to get involved contact Rodlie Ortiz at email@example.com or call 269-471-6154.
Roommates, Bad Dates, and Soul Mates
Roommates, Bad Dates, & Soulmates-Part 2
DVDsTo purchase a DVD of this sermon please visit our online shopping cart. Proceeds go to support the New Perceptions media ministry.
Buy DVD Online Buy series
SpeakerDwight K. Nelson
Since 1983, Dwight Nelson has served as lead pastor of the Pioneer Memorial Church on the campus of Andrews University. He preaches on the “New Perceptions” telecast, teaches at the theological seminary and has written some books, including The Chosen. He and his wife, Karen, are blessed with two married children and 2 granddaughters.
More In This Series
“Roommates, Bad Dates and Soul Mates”—2
» Family Tree #1—Matthew 1:1
»Family Tree #2—Matthew 1:21
- JESUS&SEX #1—God it.
- Matthew 19:4-6
• Brigham Young University studied 2035 married people:
- Better .
- Better .
- Better .
- Better .
• Mike Mason: “Is there any other activity at all which an adult man and woman may engage in together (apart from worship) that is actually more childlike, more clean and pure, more natural and wholesome and unequivocally right than is the act of love making? . . . Surely is the deepest communion that is possible between human beings.” (The Mystery of Marriage: As Iron Sharpens Iron 121)
• JESUS&SEX #2—We have it.
- Matthew 5:27-28
• How the enemy deceives us into denting this gift?
- Pornographic sex is sex marriage—sex usually with yourself.
- Premarital sex is sex marriage—sex with someone else.
- Extramarital sex is sex of marriage—sex with someone who isn’t your spouse.
• Lust simply defined means—”I gotta have it .”
• The Rooster and the “Coolidge Effect”
• Jennifer Schwirtzer: “The point of this story is that sexuality, especially male sexuality, tends to be novelty-driven. Male rats will copulate, then tire and stop sexual activity until scientists drop a new female rat into the cage, when suddenly the male feels his mojo return. He will continue to copulate with each partner until he literally dies of exhaustion. Clearly, this novelty-driven sexuality moves in the opposite direction from God’s plan of long-term faithfulness to one partner.” (13 Weeks to Love 63)
• A proverb: “Why buy the cow, if you can get the milk for ?”
• “Just the right amount of wrong.”
• Proverbs 6:25, 27, 32—”Do not lust in your heart after her [his] beauty or let her [him] captivate you with her [his] eyes. . . . Can a man scoop fire into his lap without his clothes being burned? . . . But a man who commits adultery has no sense; whoever does so destroys himself.”
“I Then Shall Live”
I then shall live as one who’s been forgiven.
I’ll walk with joy to know my debts are paid.
I know my name is clear before my Father;
I am His child and I am not afraid.
So, greatly pardoned, I’ll forgive my brother;
The law of love I gladly will obey.
I then shall live as one who’s learned compassion.
I’ve been so loved, that I’ll risk loving too.
I know how fear builds walls instead of bridges;
I’ll dare to see another’s point of view.
And when relationships demand commitment,
Then I’ll be there to care and follow through.
Your Kingdom come around and through and in me;
Your power and glory, let them shine through me.
Your Hallowed Name, O may I bear with honor,
And may Your living Kingdom come in me.
The Bread of Life, O may I share with honor,
And may You feed a hungry world through me.
—David Phelps/Gloria Gaither
We are inviting all youth to come out to Lake Chapin every Tuesday night from June 30 - August 11 at 6:00 PM to join us for Sun, Fun, and Faith! We will have boating, fun, and worship. Masks are encouraged and attendees are asked to remember social distancing. The Youth Department is asking for anyone with a boat who can bring it to out to Lake Chapin on Tuesday nights to contact Brooke Scott at 269-932-5783 via text or call.
For your safety, Pioneer Memorial Church offices are now closed until further notice. Pastors and staff continue to work remotely to serve your needs.
Over the summer and fall of 2019 Pioneer underwent significant physical renovation—including a new roof and a major Sanctuary makeover. During the same time congregation leaders engaged in multiple conversations about our missional renovation—how does a faith community like Pioneer seriously engage and impact the people around us for Christ? From this dialogue emerged a fresh new expression of our Pioneer mission: "Love on the Move."